Wednesday, January 20, 2010

State of Mind

I grew up listening to country music. Don’t get me wrong, I would consider myself to be very well-versed in all genres of music, (no pun intended), but hearing the sound of a steel guitar and fiddles just takes me back to those early formative years of childhood.

When I was about seven years old, there was a song called, “State of Mind” by Clint Black on the radio. I remember sitting in the front seat and scanning the country stations on the way from school and hearing this tune. I was never super impressed with it. It was just simple melody and lyrics. But, for those of you who don’t remember it, the chorus goes a little something like this-

♪♪ Ain’t it funny how a melody can bring back a memory? Take you to another place in time, completely change your state of mind ♪♪

Yesterday, I started thinking about how true those words are. If I were to hear Vince Gill’s “Pocket Full of Gold” it would remind me of my earliest interaction with CMT music videos. My older sister, Bridget, loved Vince Gill, and would sing to the top of her lungs whenever this song was played. Luckily, she’s a great singer, so the only nuisance was her volume. Dwight Yoakam’s “Pocket of a Clown,” would take me back to the summer before I entered the second grade. That whole summer my parents remodeled my dad’s first church, and every day for lunch we’d go to this little café that served Dr. Pepper in 10 ounce glass bottles,(Ahhh…wouldn’t it be nice to have one of those right now?) A few years later, I remember hearing Shania Twain’s “If You’re Not in it For Love (I’m Outta Here)” for the first time on a trip to the bank with Bridget. And, folks, that very CD just happens to be the first I ever bought. (Before that I was the cool kid with the cassette walkman!)

The list could go on and on. So, Mr. Black, yes, it really is funny how a melody can bring back a memory.

1 comment: